It's possible to use HomeSeer's automation system with newer Z-Wave Plus V2 automation technology. To do so, you'll need a V2 Z-Wave USB stick, whether it's using 700 series or Atrim Stick's 800 series.
What you'll need
- Microsoft Windows or Linux already installed and configured. As most users of the Unix platform opt to use Z-Wave with Home Assistant, the following instructions will focus on setting up HomeSeer with Microsoft Windows. Instructions should remain relatively similar however as HomeSeer runs in browser via a cloud connection. We have used Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise edition to create this guide.
- HomeSeer 4. We have used HomeSeer / HS4 version 18.104.22.168 and its Z-Wave plugin version 22.214.171.124 to create this guide.
- Atrim Stick, a USB stick based, Z-Wave Plus 800 series controller.
Setup Z-Wave 800 series with HomeSeer
- If you have not already done so, install Z-Wave within Windows by following those instructions. As described in those instructions, note down the port number Atrim Stick is using within your Windows installation such as COM3.
- Download your registered copy of HomeSeer 4 or, if you'd rather test its capabilities first, download a free trial.
- Install HomeSeer by following the on screen prompts and customising it to your geolocation.
- Launch HomeSeer through the Microsoft Windows start menu.
- Click "Web Interface".
- If you receive an error associated with connecting to HomeSeer in the browser (e.g. via http://192.168.1.117), including an error describing a time out, ensure that your system's firewall for inbound and outbound connections is not blocking HomeSeer from communicating.
- In HomeSeer's top menu, hover over Plugins and then click "Add".
- Click on the Z-Wave plugin. It's typically found as one of the four options under "Featured". If it is not present, search for it in via the "Search Plugin List" tool.
- Click "Install".
- Once the installation is complete, the Z-Wave plugin will display as Disabled. Use the toggle switch to enable it.
- Click the "More" drop down and then click "Manage Interfaces".
- Click "Add Z-Wave Interface" under "Z-Wave Interfaces".
- Follow the installation prompts;
- Set Name as 'Atrim Stick 800'.
- Select "Sigma Designs UZB" under Model and then click "Continue".
- Select the appropriate port for your Atrim Stick under "Config"; e.g. COM3. If you are unsure how to do this, read the Z-Wave and Windows instructions. When selected, click "Add".
- Allow the integration between Atrim Stick and HomeSeer's Z-Wave controller to configure. When it is complete, your screen should read "The Z-Wave interface was successfully added and started. Atrim Stick 800 is now your target interface."
- Click "Finish".
Your installation is now complete; 800 series Z-Wave is managing your HomeSeer installation.
Next steps: connect Z-Wave devices
To connect Z-Wave devices to Atrim Stick and HomeSeer:
- Click "Plugins" in the top menu then click "Z-Wave".
- Click "Add Device" from the menu.
- Follow the on screen instructions and the instructions for your chosen Z-Wave product.
A similar set of steps can be used to safely remove Z-Wave devices from your installation as well. Select "Remove Device" in step 2 as opposed to "Add Device".